Birthday in the Big Apple

4 Oct

east coast

Good morning sweet peas, and happy Friday! I’m East Coast bound once again, and I’m only a little bitter about it. If you follow me on Twitter, you know that this is not news – I’m always coming or going, and mostly I do OK with all the travel. Really, I wouldn’t mind a bit, only a last-minute schedule change from The Employer has landed me in the Big City on my birthday – a day when I would so much rather be at home, having a modest piece of cake and steamy snuggly tea (read: keg party), and going birthday shopping with lovely ladyfriends. Se la vie, eh?

It’s times like these that I sit quietly and contemplate my ever-mounting pile of frequent flier miles and fantasize about Excellent Future Vacations. Which I will begin taking juuuuust as soon as I’m done with The Graduate Program. And paying for The Graduate Program. Ahem. Moving on!

Paris! London (and Manchester – I haven’t forgotten you, Silly!)! Dublin! Amsterdam! New Zealand! Israel! Moscow! Oh, the places I could go! All those miles, quietly piling up… one day, one day. One day soon!

Since I’ll be variously in meetings or on planes for the weekend and beyond, entertain me with tales of your most recent wonderful vacation, would you? Or, your favorite vacation you’ve ever taken. Or, ideas about one you’d like to take! Or, barring that, your plans for this weekend – just so long as they don’t involve meetings. Down with meetings!

About these ads

7 Responses to “Birthday in the Big Apple”

1. Silly Wrong But Vivid Right October 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

Happy Birthday Lovely – make the big apple work for you, eh!?

As for your trip to Manchesterton, we’re not going anywhere. I have a vision of you and I meeting one day, we’ll be old and wrinkly and glam as fuck and we’ll drink cocktails and wonder why we left it so long. C’est-la-(bloody)vie indeed ;)

• Sarah October 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

ITT: I learn how to properly spell c’est-la-vie!!

Yes, I plan on having at least a few grey hairs when we meet (oh wait – I already do!!). But those grey hairs will be glam as fuck! I’m hoping for a streak. :)

2. Lydia October 4, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Last winter when I visited family members in Phoenix we spent an afternoon at Mystery Castle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Castle

In the 1930s a man named Boyce was diagnosed with tuberculosis. At that time TB was a death sentence.

Boyce decided to abandon his wife and young daughter, move to Phoenix, and build a house from recycled materials. He planned to leave the property to his daughter after he died, but he surprisingly lived another decade and ended up building a very large home by himself.

After he died his daughter was contacted and came to live in the house.

Mystery Castle is a beautiful piece of property, but it’s filled with sadness. I highly recommend checking it out if like museums as much as I do and are ever in the Phoenix area. :)

• Sarah October 4, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

How cool! I hope to visit Phoenix one day soon and will be sure to check it out! Did you go on a guided tour or can you just wander about in the house poking around? How was the weather in wintertime there?

• Lydia October 4, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

You start off with a guided tour, but once it’s finished you’re welcome to stay and look around for as long as you’d like to do so.

The weather there is really nice during the winter. The average daily temperature is in the mid 50s (13 C), although I’ve seen it get up to 70+ F (21 C) on nice days. You can actually go swimming outdoors in January in a heated pool!

• Sarah October 4, 2013 at 11:08 pm #