WE WON!

7 Nov

At 21m24s:

“…It doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from or what you look like or where you love. It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try.”

ALSO big wins in Washington state, Maryland, Maine and Minnesota. And let’s not forget Wisconsin! Take that Mittens!

To quote my roommate: As sorority girls everywhere have been saying for years: “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

10 Responses to “WE WON!”

1. Lydia November 7, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

It’s such a relief.

I actually disagree with a lot of Obama’s views on certain issues. In Canada he’d actually be seen as a very conservative candidate.

But Romney’s platform was much scarier so hooray for the Democrats! At least they don’t believe in “legitimate” rape. ;)

• Sarah November 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

No kidding. We beat back some SERIOUS evil yesterday. Even though Obama might be considered conservative in Canada, our awesomer northern cousin, here he is one of our bravest politicians, for just daring to stand up for equal rights and health care for everyone – even if they’re *gasp* poor or *eep!* GAY!

• Lydia Schoch November 7, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

I grew up in the U.S. but after living in another country for almost 8 years I’m starting to feel culture shock sometimes.

I’m sure there are Canadian politicians who would like to repeal same sex marriage, universal health care or abortion rights but fighting for that stuff would be career suicide up here. I hope we live to see the day when the same can be said for the States. I think it’s coming, though!

We may speak the same language and have the same mother country but there are some huge differences between the U.S. and Canada.

• Sarah November 10, 2012 at 12:12 am #

Indeed! I’ve only visited Canada once, but I hope to visit again soon. Even within the U.S., sometimes it feels like we have two or more different countries, culturally speaking. Even looking at the blue state/red state divides, it’s shocking how differently different parts of the country stand on political issues.

I hope one day we can sort out all of this nonsense, learn from our Northern pals, and preaching hate will truly become a career-killer in the U.S., too!

2. Jenni November 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

I’m glad Obama won of course but I’ve seen this quote two other places and I disagree so completely. This is more of the self made man myth. It’s not about trying. Plenty of people who try their asses off don’t “make it.” Plenty of people who work hard, I mean hard- not at a desk- but out in the elements in physical labor and they barely have a roof and food to eat. This country is in no way a meritocracy where only your effort matters and I have a book list for the people who think it is starting with Beth Shulman’s The Betrayal of Work.

• Sarah November 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

I couldn’t agree with you more, Jenni. The whole “meritocracy” thing is one of the most insidious American lies out there, for sure. But I just couldn’t resist putting the quote up there because HOLY CRAP HE THINKS THE GAYS AND THE BROWNS AND THE PO’ FOLKS ARE PEOPLE, TOO!

That said, meritocracy, schmeritocracy. My Republican friends whine about having their paychecks stolen by “those lazy poor people on the dole” while they drive around in their fancy cars their parents bought them and profit off connections they made in expensive private schools Daddy paid for. Fuck them som’n fierce. Right in their stupid, smug faces.

Success in this country has everything to do with class and luck – where and to whom were you born? Sure, you can be born into wealth and you can throw it away; and you can be born into poverty and “pull yourself up by your bootstraps;” but those stories are the exception, not the rule. By and large the poor get poorer and the rich get richer, period.

I’m going to amend this post to include some of that stuff above (and your reading list!) in two shakes! Or rather, I’ll try to get to it before my exciting foot surgery tomorrow!

3. liz November 8, 2012 at 11:07 am #

YAY! Thanks for the video too!

4. donireee November 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Oh, I partied alright. WEEEEEEEE! And high fives all around! :)

• Sarah November 10, 2012 at 12:09 am #

Woohoo! Lots of liberal hangovers on Wednesday, for sure. :)